Thursday, January 19, 2012

My first transatlantic fight: holy turbulence/perks of a vegetarian diet

Heathrow - 5.30 am
I will be the first to admit that I am a pansy, flying for example.  I don't like that I can't see where I'm going and I have no control over anything.  Of course I should trust the pilot and copilot (Lavatop;)) because they are obviously well seasoned in flight but it's hard.  Every time the plane lists I think I am going to die, and sudden drops, albeit small, send my stomach rocketing into my mouth.
I now know what it feels like to die... turbulence.  I can honestly say that I would spend the day worshiping  the porcelain throne than to have to experience turbulence again.  It didn't help that I forgot to take Bonine (Dramamine) or the fact that we had just been served our meal.  Never before have I felt so out of control; not only was I not on the ground, but the fasten seatbelt light was on so if any food reversal happened it would have happened in the aisle.  Luckily I was able to keep down all foodstuff!
/
I am not entirely a vegetarian.  I enjoy chicken and seafood is great! To be on the safe side my mother requested a vegetarian/vegan meal for my flights.  Lucky me! I was one of the few served first and to be honest, from looking around I was given the better deal.  Yes I was a little jealous of the cake the non vegans received, while I enjoyed a nice fruit bowl... the trade off? My meal was on the healthy side.

Arriving at Heathrow was not as bad as some told me it would be.  As opposed to Logan whose security let me through with a pair of scissors, I was thoroughly felt up this time.  All because of a  zippered pocket on my yoga pants.  COOL! I survived my first "encounter" with a woman, and yes (JOE) she was wearing rubber (gloves)!  I hope that it is the last time too.

1 comment:

  1. I liked Heathrow....but I'm very glad that in all my travels, I've never been chosen to be groped. YAY. I love reading your blog....keep it up!

    ReplyDelete